If you have any queries about this event please contact: Tribristol@gmail.com
The Bristol Childrens Triathlon will be held at Henbury Leisure Centre
Race start approximately 12:10pm
Registration will be open from 10:15 and 12:30pm with priority for youth and Tri 3 in the first 1 hr and 15 minutes. TriStart and Tr1 1 & 2 can register later should they wish but registration will close promptly at 12:30.
Youth and Tri 3 events will start at 12pm and 12:10pm.
No entries will be allowed on the day.
Age Groups and Race Distances (Races will be in the below order from midday)
Youth 12:10pm start
400m - 16 lenghts
5.4k - 6 laps
3.0k - 5 laps
300m - 12 lengths
2.4k- 4 laps
50m - 2 lengths
0.9k - 1 lap
0.6k - 1 lap
150m - 6 lengths
1.8k - 2 laps
1.2k - 2 laps
200m - 8 lengths
3.6k - 4laps
1.8k - 3 laps
Arrival and Parking
We would ask you to arrive at Henbury School for registration between 10.30pm and 12:30pm. Registration closes at 12:30pm. We are unable to accept athletes arriving for register after this time, as the marshals will have additional duties elsewhere, so please allow plenty of time for your journey to the event.
Competitors/parents are asked to park only in the School car park area. Car parking is free. Please then make your way over to the Leisure Centre.
Registration is being held in the event field and will be clearly marked. At registration, the following is required of you:
· Confirm you have read the race information and sign (parents) the register to confirm that you have done so.
· If you are a member of BTF and taking part in the SW series you must produce a current BTF membership. If not a BTF member you will have received by email a day license you have already paid for at the entry point(£1) on BTF website.
· Collect your race number and bike number label.
· You will have your race number written on both upper arms.
The transition area will be open from 10.30pm to 1:30pm only for racking of bikes and setting out running equipment etc. Access will be restricted by the marshals after this time.
You will only be permitted access to set up and remove equipment if the marshal considers that it is safe to do so. Only athletes are permitted to enter the transition area and you must listen to the instructions of the marshals. Penalties will be issued for unsporting behaviour by athletes or their supporters. The race finish time is anticipated to be approximately 4.00pm.
Access to the transition area will only be possible on presentation of your race number. No number, no access, no bike!
Parents and other non-competitors are not allowed in the Transition area at any time. We will have additional race officials in transition to assist competitors locate bikes and possessions.
Race briefings will be carried out adjacent to the transition area for Youth and Tri 3 athletes at approximately 11:45. A final race briefing for TriStart Tri1 and Tri2 competitors will take place at 12:30pm near transition. Each age group will race separately beginning with Youth. We will endeavour to get through the age groups as quickly as possible.
Each wave to be called and assemble in swim holding outside sports centre.. Please listen for your wave to be called.
You will be escorted to the swimming pool by a marshal, after being checked off you will be allocated a lane and swim position within that lane. There are a maximum of 4 swimmers per lane. Where possible, all waves are gender specific. We have taken your estimated times and allocated swimmers of similar speed to each lane.
Please note that there are changing rooms, toilets and showers and these will be available before and after the race. Please ensure that you do not require the toilet after your wave has been called – if you miss your wave start – you cannot be added to a different wave, as this puts the timings out and WILL result in delays for prize giving later in the day.
The Leisure Centre’s pool is a six-lane 25m pool and you will be required to complete the number of lengths appropriate to your age group. This will be confirmed by the swim starter prior to allocation of your swim lane
The waves will start en-masse. Where there is more than one swimmer in a lane, subsequent swimmers will start at five second intervals. You will be directed by the swim marshals to your assigned lane. You will be provided with a coloured swim cap to wear during the swim. You CANNOT wear your own hat.
On completing the swim, please do not run on poolside and take care when leaving the swimming pool as the floor will be wet.
If you need to overtake the swimmer in front, tap them on the foot and they must wait at the end of the lane for you to pass – do not overtake mid-lane as this is a danger to other swimmers.
The route to the transition area turns right on the access road alongside the swimming pool, before turning left to the playing field. Please follow the signs, tape and listen to the marshals. Please also be careful of running with bare feet, changes in level ground e.g. kerbs, and slipping on the grass.
· No clothing or equipment (except glasses) to be left within the pool area or outside the pool exit.
· Take instruction from your lap counter and look out for the 2 lengths to go board.
· You are responsible for counting correctly the number of laps you swim. The lane counters are there to help, but cannot be held responsible for any miscounting on your part.
· You are not allowed to wear a wetsuit or other aids that improve buoyancy or propulsion.
· If you are not able to finish the swim and need assistance from a lifeguard, roll onto your back and wave with an extended arm to a lifeguard.
· Your race will begin from within the pool: NO diving.
The cycle route is entirely off road within the confines of the adjacent playing field. The loop is approximately 900m and each age group must complete the following number of laps:
· Tri-Star 3 5.4km = 6 laps
· Youth 5.4km = 6 laps
· Tri-Star Start 0.9km = 1 lap
· Tri-Star 1 1.8km = 2 laps
· Tri-Star 2 3.6km = 4 laps
Athletes are responsible for counting their own laps – no outside help is allowed as it is considered to be coaching/instructing the athlete – this may result in a time penalty or a DQ of the athlete
The course is mostly flat but one bank must be ridden down and up. It is entirely on grass.
On leaving the transition area at the far end, you will not be able to mount your bike until instructed by the marshals at the Bike Mount line.
Please be careful of athletes/cyclists passing on your left as they complete their laps. The course is set out with a mixture of taped corridors and signs going in anti-clockwise direction. Marshals are also out on the course to guide you.
Please note that:
· Competitors must obey marshals at all times.
· Competitors must obey British Triathlon Federation race rules at all times.
· Bikes must be road legal, with two brakes and no sharp or projecting parts that might injure other competitors. Bar ends must be plugged or taped
· Competitors must ensure they have their helmets on and fastened at all times that their bikes are off the racking.
· This is not a draft legal race. If competitors are deemed by the referees to be drafting, they will receive either a time penalty or disqualification at the referees’ discretion. If competitors do not understand what drafting means then the referee will explain on the day.
· The bike dismount point will be clearly marked and marshalled – competitors must dismount completely before crossing this line.
· The Triathlon has attracted beginners and seasoned athletes alike. If everyone observes the following riding etiquette, you can all have a safe and great ride:
o Be considerate and respectful to your fellow cyclists.
o Do not swerve or make sudden movements.
o Stay left at all times – unless overtaking.
o Never overtake someone on the inside (left) side.
o Look over your shoulder for other athletes before you move over.
The run route is also entirely off-road on the right hand side of the playing field. The route will be clearly signed posted and taped, being a 600m out and back route. Each age group must complete the following number of laps:
• Youth - 5 laps - 3K
• Tri3 - 4 laps - 2.4k
• Tristars - 1 lap - 600m
• Tri 1 - 2 laps - 1.2k
• Tri 3 - 3 laps - 1.8k
Athletes are responsible for counting their own laps. The course is flat and entirely on grass. Your timing chip will be removed directly after you cross the finish line.
· Whilst the run route is generally firm under foot, please beware of holes, mounds, tufts, ruts, stones, etc. If the weather is damp on the day then the grassy and muddy parts of the run course will be slippery. Please take care.
· Always stay on the LEFT side to avoid collisions with other runners. Please be considerate of your fellow competitors at all times.
· The drinks station is at the beginning/end of the run course.
We would ask all competitors and spectators to respect the School’s and Leisure Centre’s property at all times. In particular, please take all litter home with you or place it in one of the bins provided.
We will have an information board at registration. This will contain all the race information, swim starts. Race results will be available at the Split Second Timing results tent. Any penalties issued will also be displayed here. Web results will be available here